Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer.https://www.epa.gov/radon
You can’t see or smell radon. Testing is the only way to know your level of exposure.
What Is Radon?
Radon is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas that causes lung cancer. Radon can reside at dangerous levels inside homes, schools and other buildings. Exposure to radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States, after smoking. Radon-related lung cancers are responsible for an estimated 21,000 deaths annually in the United States.
Who Should Be Worried about Radon?
Every home should be tested for radon. Radon has been found at elevated levels in homes in every state and the only way to know is to test. Your home can have elevated levels of radon while your neighbor’s home does not. Testing is the only way to determine if you have a problem. Radon testing is easy and inexpensive and it could save your life. Thousands of lung cancer deaths could be avoided each year if home and building owners acted to test and fix.